Studying for College Crash Course College #3

| On
08:00:00
In my last Crash Course College post I told y 'all I would talking about study tips and how to do well in classes. Hold your hats, because this will give you the deets needed to help you pass your classes. This is especially useful for you freshies that are going to be experiencing college for the first time and have no idea of what you should be doing. I mean no one teaches you how to study and studying for college is nothing like studying for high school. It's a completely different game and not even worth comparing.

So I have passed my first semester of college with pretty decent grades (Bs) and I'm so proud and relieved. And tbh the reason I passed was because I did well on exams and did really well on smaller assignments and did any extra credit work my professors threw my way. My good grades really comes down to the retention of information which is what this post will be about. I'm really big on retaining information and trying ways to help encourage this. The more information I retain throughout the semester the less I had to study and to re-learn. It just made studying so much more easier and less stressful.

I know that in highschool it was easy to pass school because you only had to remember a whole chunk of information and then it was out of your head and out of mind. But in college/uni this method is not enough. Out of the three finals I took two of them were cumulative. A lot of exams will be cumulative and you can't forget the information you learn, you have to retain it. And so here I am with tips on how to assist in the retention of information.




Write What the Teacher Say in Lecture

Maybe I'm totally lucky but most of my teachers make their powerpoints and lectures available online for us to access. If your teacher does that then print off their powerpoints and add in bits and details they talk about in the lecture. You are more likely to remember what they said then what's on the powerpoint. Also when you review you get a little more information about the topic than you would from just reading the powerpoint. If your teacher does not provide their presentations for you, I suggest recording what they say during class. After class is over you can listen back to the lecture and add in stuff to your notes.

Notes

Your notes in class have to be at least legible. They definitely don't have to be perfect but they have to be legible so that you can rewrite them better at home/in your dorm. This helps your retain information much better. Also when you go back at the end of the semester to study, you have all these nice looking notes. Reading from clean notes makes studying a little more enjoyable (only a little though). Also a little color coding goes a long way. Use color only when coming to a keyword or something super important.




Read your book!

My biggest mistake was not reading my book as much as I should have. Honestly read the material trust me. Read it before class or maybe even after class. Either way read it as soon as possible and in the closest proximity to your classes. You will retain that information that much better. Also you kind of get the jump on the rest of your classmates because honestly most people don't read their books. If you don't own or rent the books, you can go to your library and ask if they have it (they should). Or try to find an online version if you can.

Tell Someone What You Learned

I believe that the only reason I had a decent grade in psycology was because everyday I came home and told my parents or whomever would listen to me, about what I had learned. If you can regurgitate a lot of information from your lecture to someone and explain it well then it's cemented in your brain. So tell your friends, your roommate, your parents, siblings, stuffed animals about what you learned that day. At first you may feel silly and like a 5 year old but it'll help you a lot. there's a reason why kids remember so much information and I do think it's because they're always willing to tell others what they learned.



I have a few other brief tips on helping pass classes that do not pertain to retaining information. Do the extra credit work no matter how tedious. One percent can give you a whole letter grade. And it's really nice to do the extra credit work. If your mid terms are sparse and few but! you have lots of smaller assignments that are worth less than mid term grades (i.e quizes are worth 10% whiles midterms are worth 25% etc) then try to do really well on those smaller assignments. Even though it's worth less than your midterm it does help your grade alot more than you'd think it does. Read your syllabus before your classes start and also refer back to it a few times during the semester. There is a whole lot of information in there. Utilize what you read in there!

What are Your Uniersity Study/Exam Tips? How do you De-Stress after exams?


P.S if you like my study/exam checklist shoot me an email and I'll provide it to you as a pdf file!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9